Monday, June 29, 2009

A Vet Visit + A Doctors Visit = Unhappy Peeps

Wow, what a day, today has turned out to be!  Last night, the ever MAN-tastic Higgins started coughing and not feeling well.  When he woke up this morning, he was wheezing, coughing and just not feeling well at all.  I thought he had pneumonia.  So off to the vet he goes.  Turns out that he is having an allergic reaction to something.  He got a steroid shot and a steroid pill at the vet and will be on prednisone for five days.

As I was getting Higgins stuff together for the vet this morning, Joey tells me that his left ear is infected and needs to go to the doctor.  When Joey finally feels an earache, it usually means a full blown infection.  He has a very high tolerance to pain and will not feel an ear infection until it’s really bad.  So I made him an appointment for this afternoon.  Already I knew the day would be heading down hill fast with a vet appointment and a doctor appointment all in one day.

Our pediatrician was not in the office today so we saw another one and when she checked Joey’s ear that was not hurting him first, it had a full blown infection.  She asked him if it hurt and he said no.  I told her that he does not feel them until they are bad, and she told me well he should be feeling this one cause it is, indeed pretty bad.  When she checked his other ear, she made a “oh no” and I was like “WHAT?”  She looks again and said, it’s really bad, so bad, in fact that it has a huge perforation in the ear drum.  Of course, that scared me a tad.  She said that he should be in so much pain and was shocked that he wasn’t.  Trust me, I hate that it’s that bad, but I am thrilled that he is not in a lot of pain.  So a strong antibiotic is prescribed and a re-check is made and we are heading home, finally!! 

What do you get with a child that is really not feeling that bad, but is a little on the grumpy side, and a dog that has been on steroids for about 8 hours??  Trust me words can not describe it.  I have yelled at both of them and both of them are mad at me!  Higgins has attacked the cat, the other dog and his bone.  Joey is sitting in the living room yelling at Higgins for growling and attacking his cat. 

Higgins's is so mad at me for getting on to him that he pee’d on me.  Joey laughed.  Trust me I am pretty well a grump myself now!!  Higgins looks like this dog….

chihuahua.jpg evil lil thing image by kittykat0714

I look like this…..

It has been a loooooong day!  Hopefully both Joey and Higgins will be feeling better tomorrow and not so much on the grumpy side!  Hopefully, or I will need a pill!

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear you HAVE had a BAD Day!

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

H-Mama said...

Oh my! Look up 'bad day' in the dictionary and I think you typed it's definition. I hope everyone is feeling better soon!

sara said...

i hope things get better or you might definitely need a pill.....or a strong drink!

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

The ear thing must just run in the family. Bub's pediatrician always says the same thing, he should be screaming and all he says is it itches a little bit.

Poor Higgins, steroids make you ever so grumpy.

Take some wine and call me in the morning ;)

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha I'm laughing out loud at my desk!

Meredith said...

Oh no!!!!!!!! Feel better Higgins and Joey... and YOU too!

Greg C said...

Take two Valium and call me in the morning. That's what I recommend. Sorry you had such a bad day. I had one of those this past weekend.

Melissa's Thoughts said...

I really hope today is going better.