Friday, June 19, 2009

Oh, How I Hate To DEET!

It’s 22 days before we leave for our mission trip, so I have began getting things that we will need while we are there. 

Of course, one the must haves for the trip, is bug repellent.  We were told to take something with over 50% DEET to protect ourselves from bug bites.  Last year I used Repel 100% Deet, well because I am so sweet that bugs just can not resist themselves against my over so scrumptious blood!  Yea! 

Anyhoo, last year I did not take any chances and wanted the max in bug deterrent so that’s why I choose 100% DEET and others that have gone years before me, said that was what I needed.    If you  have never experienced the wonderful world of 100% DEET, be very thankful, because it stings and burns so very badly.  Did I still get bug bites, yes, I still have scars on my legs to prove it.  The DEET burned so badly so I thought I would try putting it on my clothes one day to see if it would work as well as applying it directly to my skin, it didn’t!

I was also told last year to try Bath & Body Works, Eucalyptus & Spearmint body wash and lotion.  (Trust me, those who market anything out there, tell me to use it, because I usually will!) 

                imageimage

To my surprise it worked very well.  I would use this at night after my shower so I did not have to endure the long night of hard sleep burning to death from the DEET.  Even though we had mosquito nets, those pesky little bugs were good!  It does not protect completely on it own without the use of DEET, but it held its own.

So yesterday during my little shopping adventure, I picked up some more, ready to conquer some bugs!! 

My theory is if I start using this one week before I leave, I can build up some kind of barrier for these bugs, did I tell you last year I was bit by something stepping off the plane…pleasant way to start the trip!  I am so hoping that I will have to use minimal DEET by applying loads of this lotion.  We will see!

Any advice on what y’all use to keep bugs at bay?

4 Comments:

Robin Lambright said...

I saw this thingamagiggie on TV a few days ago. It was a clip on fan from the manufactures of OFF (I think) it generated a continuous spray of repellent around you and you did not need to spray it on your skin. You might look for it at the store?????

Patrice and Higgins said...

Great idea!!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I love your blog. I enjoyed reading it today.
I had some time to do some blog hopping...
I always enjoy finding new blogs and new friends.
Hope you will stop by and visit me.
This month I am posting on our Disney trip plus a June giveaway.....plus a new grandson that will arrive on Tuesday....

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

I saw the Off spray thing at the store the other day and thought of you and ya'll's trip but forgot to tell you on the phone the other day. Did you get those cooling bandanas to bring as well?