Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thursday Rant

As you know our children have been home schooled for more years that I can count, and this year DJ and Bradley both went to high school, DJ is in the 11th and Bradley is in 9th! Well they got their report cards Monday. DJ comes right in full of smiles and his grades we all A's and high B's, needless to say I was thrilled, because I was afraid that it may of been worse, because of integrating back into school.

Then Bradley is sitting there, doing his Bradley smile and I knew something was up. Now granted, I did not think anything bad, because mid terms were all A's, B's and 1 C, so how bad could it be......right??? WRONG! He had a 60 F in World History.....an F!! Ughh! I am not a happy mom. All the other grades were where they should be, maybe Algebra 1 could of been a little higher, but, I am not complaining!

So I asked.......WHAT HAS HAPPENED??? At mid term his grade was a 86 B, so in three weeks "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE????" Bradley tells me nothing, I do my work, the teacher hates me, that is why I have a bad grade. Well, I have to go into the speech, of we all have teachers that we do not like and we all have teachers that do not like us, but they do not fail you because of the mere point that they do not like you. Bradley stood firm on I am failing because he indeed hates me. So, I guess it is to the teacher conference I will go on Tuesday afternoon, and I went....Oh My Goodness!

Are you ready for this......the teacher hates him!! I will not mention names, but this teacher is a coach....a football coach, and Bradley was on the team for a short week at the beginning of school....a very short week, if that. Bradley quit the team soon after he was told, no Dr. Peppers, no sugar and weight lifting and practice was mandatory each day. To many restrictions for Bradley, because a day with out Dr. Pepper for Bradley....well there are no days like that!! I guess coach might have some anger towards him for quitting.

I am rambling, and if I want to end this post before next Thursday I need to get to the point here....This unnamed teacher, gives this grade called a contribution grade. Bradley got a 20F for that part, which in turns fails him. So I asked what is this, because I am going through Bradley's folder looking for anything that has F's on it and found nothing except for one quiz that he bombed, which happened after he broke his collarbone, the first day he went back to school, and did I mention he was on pain pills that day, the day before surgery?? ANYHOO, I asked this guy, what is this....are you ready for this???? "This grade is for students that raise their hands in class, pass out paper and do other things that make my life easier." Bradley says, I do raise my hand, you never call on me and this guy just moves on like Bradley never spoke a word. I am in shock here, but did not say anything, I need to get home and process this, and plus there is a line of parents, apparently I am not the only one with a child with an F.

Needless to say, I am not a happy camper here, as we walked out of the class Bradley said...see I told you he hates me. Trust me when I say this, this is a short version of what happened, much more was said that floored me!

So yesterday off to the school I, or we go again, Jeremy is not happy, because who is going to hold this teacher accountable for this grade? Who is to say he is failing and passing kids, on a like and dislike basis? How can you give a grade for passing out papers and raising your hand???? Passing out paper grade....have you ever heard of this????

Needless to say the principle was wonderful and is looking into this for us and hopefully I will know something today. She agreed, that a contribution grade can not happen and put our fears at ease that she would would fix this. I hope that the fall out for Bradley will not be bad, I am afraid that this teacher might really get him now!!

I really needed to get this off my chest so thanks for hearing me out....uhm...reading this!!

3 Comments:

Greg C said...

I can so see this happening. I know teachers have it bad these days but some are getting out of control. Our son is in the same situation. He got all A's and one F on his midterm grades. Same thing, all his papers were A's so why the F? Turns out his paperwork was too sloppy so the teacher just gave him zero's on everything she said was too sloppy? Not minus 10 or 20 for neatness, just a big 0. What makes me mad is he did the paperwork and the answers were correct. And you wonder why kids these days get demotivated. I will see you at the parent teacher coference. Good luck.

Jeanette said...

I would have headed immediately to the principals office right after the conference!

We are the first to question our kids when something is wrong - who questions our teachers?!

A few years ago an English teacher want to put Gabs in title 1 reading (remedial reading). She was getting a 98% in her class but thought she could use the extra help for the ISAT testing they have to do every year. I told the principal that she was to continue with her regular reading/english class and that we don't give a hoot about some stupid testing. Today she is in honor's English/Lit. Seem's she really needed that remedial class, eh?

We have to stick to our guns and stand up for our kids - no one else will do it!

Praying for you and Bradley!

Hugs!

Cindy Swanson said...

Oh, wow. That guy is a horrible representation of the teaching profession. My kids are all grown now, but at least one of them had something similar happen to him. You're doing the right thing by taking it to the principal. Here's hoping the situation improves...as a parent, you do NOT need this kind of headache.