Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall Into Flavor - Artery Clogging Potato Soup



I procrastinated last Monday and did not get my recipe up and before I knew it, it was already Friday!! Today, I woke up decided that I am getting my recipe in EARLY!!

This potato soup is not for the faint of heart! I love The Olive Gardens, Zuppa soup and this is a run off of that, I guess you could say. It is a yummy, full of flavor. melt in your mouth, clog your arteries YUMMINESS (new word here!!)!!

Sadly it has no butter in it, but if you want you could throw a stick in there some where! The only healthy thing about this soup is there is some spinach in it!

BTW, I am the kind of cook that just makes soup. There is really no set amount, I just kinda of throw things in....there are a couple of ingredients that I know how much I use, but the majority is just this and that, to your liking!

5-7 pounds of potatoes
1 pound of bacon
1 package of Italian Sausage medium or hot, whatever degree of hot you love! (5-6)
1 large onion
3-4 garlic cloves
Chicken Broth
1 bag of Spinach
Heavy Whipping Cream

Peel & cut potatoes, chucks, thick slices, skin or not, to your liking. Put in large stock pot cover almost to top of potatoes with water and add chicken broth to cover the rest of the way, add salt & pepper and boil until tender.

While potatoes are cooking....

Broil Italian sausage in oven until done. I usually cut my sausage up before I broil or you can get ground Italian sausage and cook on stove, again, which ever is easier for you and to your liking.

Drain and set aside.

Cut up the pound of bacon into bite size pieces, add 1 large chopped onion and minced garlic, cook on the stove top until golden brown, the bacon should be crispy and onions are caramelized.

Drain and add to soup along with Italian sausage. Mix and add heavy whipping cream (I usually use the smaller container) and bag of spinach. When spinach is tender, dig in! We add fresh grated parmesan cheese to the top of ours!

Enjoy! Check out Linda @ 2nd Cup of Coffee for more yummy recipes!


8 Comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for this recipe!
Potato Soup is one of our favorites!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Whoa, baby! That's some comfort food! Heavy cream ... the best. Thanks for contributing!

Merrie said...

I LOVE potato soup and this one sounds delish! I'm like you - I just throw in stuff and rarely follow a recipe!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this. I think carbs are in again! Oh thank the Lord! Sure sounds good.

Mocha with Linda said...

Heavy whipping cream - that's just liquid butter! Yum!

Greg C said...

I can feel my blood backing up as I read this so it must be great. I do the same thing when I make soup. The only drawback is when you one day make that perfect soup you don't remember what you put in it. Oh well. I will keep trying.

Jeanette said...

Yummo! I'll be giving this one a try - like the new look too!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Yum. Any recipe with heavy cream is a recipe worth trying!