Monday, March 16, 2009

Lots Of Celebrating!

Today is Connie's 65th birthday. Connie is the most wonderful, sweetest, loving person that I have ever had the pleasure of being friends with. The most awesome thing is that I work with her and Hubby and I teach the 3rd grade Sunday School class together with her!! It's a good things she likes us!! He he! Anyhoo.....

Again, today she turned 65, and I am ever so devastated that she might just retire. She thinks that working till she turns 85 is a little out of the question, but if you ask me, the church walls will crumble to the ground the day she retires!! She go's way above and way beyond as a ministry assistant and right hand lady to our pastor, and we all love her so much! She is also the best proof reader this side of the Mississippi and can find a place for a semi-colon in just about any thing we have her proof! A-MAZE-ING!!

So how do you begin to throw a birthday celebration for someone like Ms Connie?? You wake up really, really early to try your best to beat her to the office. So here is how my day begin...
  • Woke up at 5:30 am
  • Get the cake to the Jeep
  • Take the bowl of icing to the Jeep
  • Grabbed the flowers
  • Got the camera
  • Purse
  • Forgot my glasses (oops!)
Finally on the road at 6:15am heading to church making a mental note of I need to pick my contacts up from the eye doctor and I need to find something to take for this killer headache that I am going to have because I am blind as a bat, and driving with no glasses on, is quite the feat!

On the way to church, I called April, the children's director to see if she was awake and getting the balloons and streamers for Connie's office, yep, she was on her way! We decided on the phone to park on the other side of the church so when Connie got to work, she would not see our cars and hopefully the surprise would be a surprise!

I unlock the door next to the Youth room, granted I had two bags in my hands, a cake, a pot of flowers, my purse, my keys and a bowl of icing. I had so much in my hands that I could barely unlock and open the door. As soon as I opened the door and turned to turn off the alarm system, the alarm starts going off!! I forgot that the Youth room door does not have a key pad and it set off the alarm when opened! I had a mild heart attack, dropped everything, kicked off my heels and started running to the key pad, at the other door, to turn off the alarm. Then I ran to the office to unlock it and turn off that alarm to get to the phone to answer it to tell them that I was safe and that I was the one to set the alarm off!! It was a very anxiety producing moment.

So after I went back to the pile I left on the floor, I set out to get things ready for the big day. I...
  • iced the cake
  • unlocked Connie's door and set her flowers in her office
  • made the coffee for her
  • helped April get the loot in from her car

We then proceed to blow up countless balloons and decorate her office with streamers!! I think she was surprised!

(Really, there are streamer and balloons, you just can't see them!!)

One other surprise we had up our sleeves was we wanted to surprise her with lunch at her favorite restaurant. So we had her hubby come and pick her up for lunch. What she did not know was that he was on a mission for us. He drove real slow, went to the bank and then made a wrong turn, while the rest of the office staff raced across town to be at the restaurant waiting for her when she walked in!! Mission accomplished and it was a perfect time had by all!!

(This picture, is Cindy, the Worship Pastor's wife, entertaining the staff with a song of E-I-E-I-O, with puppet fingers!! We are so easily entertained! See how our pastor and Ms Connie is enjoying the show!!)

Check out the church sign that our Associate Pastor put up, one side said:


The other side said:


All she said was, "that Mike, he left out a semi-colon"! Ahahaha!! Too Funny!

Happy Birthday Ms. Connie, I so Luvie Duvie you!! You're the best!!!

Another Great thing about March 16th? It's Hubby's mom's birthday too!! What a great day of birthday's! Hubby's mom lives in Florida, so we did not get to celebrate with her on her special day, but I am sure, she had a great day!! Happy Birthday Mom, Love you! Check out Jenny's blog to see a picture of Hubby's mom! (Jenny is Hubby's sister.)

3 Comments:

Greg C said...

So where is the picture of Connie? I don't see anyone over 50 in these pictures.

Happy Birthday Connie.

Melissa's Thoughts said...

You did a great job celebrating for Mrs. Connie. I'm jealous that I didn't get to participate in the party too.

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Tell Mrs. Connie Happy Belated Birthday:)