Wednesday, March 11, 2009

If You Saw What I Saw

In four months we will be on a plane heading to our mission trip to the Dominican Republic. Today I got to see a few pictures to where we will be heading, a small community named San Cristobal. It is in a remote area where the people there are in great need. My heart is heavy, and my thoughts are consumed by our up-coming trip. Last year was such a hard trip emotionally for me, with so much family issues invading my thoughts. Then with the what I saw, I was overwhelmed to say the least. I thought I was prepared with a mental picture in my mind of what I would be seeing, but nothing could of prepared me for what I saw, the smells, the environment that these dear people lived in. This year I am more prepared mentally and I am so incredibly excited that my Hubby will be going with me!

Good news, La Represa the community we worked in last year, was recently finished with the roof on the church being put on the building, plus banos (bathrooms, for my non Spanish speaking friends) and a Sunday school room for them! What a blessing that is. I can't wait to see the finished project!

This weekend our church is holding our annual "MARCH MISSION MADNESS" where we do mission projects around our town. The after a hard days work we all come together for a spaghetti dinner, which is cooked by our mission team. All money raised will help sponsor those who are going on our trip this year. Also this year we are launching a new campaign called "Buy-A-Block", where people can purchase a block for $25. In purchasing a block it is giving those an opportunity to be an integral part of our Mission trip! When they purchase a block they will get a piece of parchment paper where they can write down a scripture, a blessing, a prayer, a thought, whatever the Lord places on their hearts. This message will be taken with us and actually placed in the blocks of the walls as we build the church. What an awesome way to have a physical, as well as a spiritual, part of helping to spread the gospel in the Dominican Republic!

Please be in prayer for us this weekend as we work around our hometown and as we spread the awareness of international mission on Saturday evening!

Here is a song that I wanted to share with you. It has really touched me, so I hope you enjoy it along with a few pictures of the great beauty that awaits us in San Cristobal as we serve and minister to those there.




5 Comments:

sara said...

I will be praying for you as you get ready to go minister to these precious people! I was able to go to Romania last year and it was life changing for me. Can't wait to hear about it!

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Love the song, it is so pretty. I hope ya'll raise lots of money this weekend. Are ya'll sending out a letter again this year?

Darla said...

i know you have been lookin forward to this mission trip, i will be praying for you guys.

Robin Lambright said...

My DD and DH are preparing to go back to the mission field. This will be my husbands ??? (I have lost count on how many times he has gone to Mexico) but this will be my DD second trip. I love watching how excited she gets in her preparations. We have our letters all ready to send out and they just recently did a yard sale and raised $230.00 for the cause.

Good luck on your trip. I will be praying for you and yours as you set your sight on the mission field.

Blessings
Robin

Jeanette said...

One of the guys from our church is going to DR for a week. He leaves on Sunday and is excited to see what God is going to do through him. I'm not sure where he is going in the DR. How cool would it be for him to be going to the same place as you!! I'll let you know if I find out.