Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fall Retreat, Crab Legs & Oysters, Pre-Med Big $$

Weekend Review!!

Our weekend has been a very busy, full weekend! First I will start with the 5th & 6th Grade Fall retreat. Joey & Victoria went on their first retreat together! They are best cousins, so naturally they would embark on their first overnight big adventure with each other! Joey was ready for the adventure, but Victoria was a little more hesitant. If you can enlarge the picture it will show a few tears in her eyes.


There was a glitch so instead of them leaving the church at 6:30 pm Friday night, they ended up leaving an hour late which gave Victoria some serious thinking time, and if she got her way she would of backed out!

Time came, she went and a fantastic time was had by all!! I did not get a picture of them returning, but there were no tears this time, only smiles and non-stop talking all the way home!!

As soon as we dropped them off, we headed to Chef Wangs, a local Chinese place that serves crab legs and raw oyster on Friday & Saturday nights. Here are a few pictures of Annette & DJ getting ready to chow down and also my plate of wonderful, yummy crab legs & oysters!!




So what could ruin such a yummy meal, you ask?? The fortune cookie!! Everyone got the usual wonderfully witty fortune but me. I was absolutely devastated by mine. In my whole life of eating Chinese food I have never had a fortune cookie like this!! It said:

Keep Mouth Shut


It just made me mad!! The nerve!! What happened to the up beat, "you'll have a great life and prosper" stuff?? Give me a break! Of course Annette & DJ thought it was fitting and the funnest thing! Again, the NERVE!!

Next on the weekend adventure, was the tour of the Belmont University in Nashville. DJ our oldest has it narrowed down to three colleges and Belmont is in the middle, price wise and his pick, so Belmont was first on our tour of colleges.


It was an ever chilly day, and guess who forgot their jacket at home?? Of course it was me, so Hubby, being so mantasiclly wonderful, let me wear his for the day!! I love him!!

The college was beautiful and our tour started with check in and of course the morning Welcome & Information session. Belmont does not fool around, as we sat in the Curb Event Center Arena, we were welcomed by the president and then they got busy with the Admissions & Financial Process! Whoa mama! They do not waste any time and right up front you know that Belmont University comes with a nice little price tag!

Of course DJ is going into the Pre-Med program so his first four years at Belmont will be at a hefty price tag of $29,310 per academic year! Yep that's a whopping....

$29,310



Let me remind you that is $117,240 for four years. He will still have to transfer to medical school for an additional 4 to 8 years depending on which field he is going into!!

DJ's school of choice is Vanderbilt, but if Belmont is this pricey I can only imagine the wonderful price tag of Vandy!!

I really like Belmont even with the hefty price tag. The class size is small with usually 15-20 students per class with the biggest class being no more than 35 students. The campus is beautiful and I love the fact that he is not to far from home. It only took a little over a hour to get their, so weekend commutes will be a must! The acceptance rate to med school from Belmont is 100%, so that is an added plus! Goodness after spending close to $120,000 for college he better get accepted into med school!

We will visit his #3 on list in December, and we will save the big one for last. He has not set up the date for the tour of Vanderbilt, but I am sure that one is soon to follow. Now we need to get busy finding some wonderful financial aid and scholarships.....fun, fun!

That pretty much winds down our fun and exciting weekend, hope you had a good one as well!

6 Comments:

Jill said...

So, basically my kids will never get birthday or christmas presents so we can save for college instead.
Wow. 30k a year. I guess I'll have to get a job myself.

Jeanette said...

I think we will stick with our plan. We pay for 2 years and they pay for 2 years. They decide where they wanna go but they will have to pay the price! Thank goodness they are looking to go to our fantastic junior college first and then transfer to the school of their choice. We have mentioned that the U of Hawaii was not out of the question. Hey, we might as well enjoy it too if we are paying for it right?! We would just hate to have to visit once a month :}

Sounds like you had a great weekend! Enjoy your week too ;}

Hugs!

Katelyn said...

Sounds like you have been busy!!
I think my mom is glad that I don't need to go to college for a few more years! But evven then I don't think I want a full college experience, I just want to take ae few classes and be done with it!

Greg C said...

This is scarry. My youngest tried his first night away a few weeks ago and called in the middle of the night because he couldn't sleep. my wife had to go get him. My favorite thing to do with the fortune cookie is to pretend to be reading it in front of the waitress and say "OMG mine says the waitress will pick up the check" I had one say "let me see that" It made her laugh. Our price tag for college is about the same. Where are we going to get this kind of money? Want to rob a bank with me?

Gwendolyn said...

What fun! My oldest is starting the college quest, and I am in denial. It can't be time for this yet, can it? LOL

Anonymous said...

Sorry - no Divvies recipe - only a web address -
divvies.com

Have a great week!