Friday, July 4, 2008

Gracias a Dios!

Don't be fooled by the title, NO I do not speak Spanish and I am having a terrible time learning it. The title for those who do not know is Praise the Lord!

For months now I have been listening to online Spanish courses trying to pick up a few things. Problem is that I do so well when the little guy is on the screen and I am saying things with him, but as soon as he is gone and I have to do it by myself, I forget.

Words I know:

Gracias - Thanks you
De nada - You're welcome
Bano - restroom
No - no
Por Favor - Please
Hola - hello
Adios - Good-bye

That's my limit, it is also the easiest words to know, so I will be completely lost.

For those who are on the big countdown with me, we have two weeks before we leave. Today's agenda for getting ready for my trip include:

  • making a list of things I need to purchase for the trip (more on that in a bit!)
  • studying more Spanish words
  • cleaning Joey's room (if I die on the plane, I would hate for anyone to clean his room besides me!)
  • writing a letter to send out for those who do not frequent my blog about the trip
  • re-reading my book about planes so I am prepared for the flight!! (yes, I'm still freaking out about the plane!!!)

That's today's agenda. So if you are curious about what you take on a mission trip to the Dominican, as I would be, here is the list of things I need to take, of course times two, DJ has to have the same.

  • work clothes for each day
  • modest clothing to wear after work
  • 1 outfit for church service
  • 1 pair of work gloves
  • 1 rain coat
  • 1 light jacket
  • underclothing for each day
  • pair of sturdy work shoes and socks
  • pajamas
  • bandanas for work site
  • bed linens
  • toiletries
  • insect repellent (100% deet)
  • flashlight
  • aspirin, pepto bismol and other medications we might need
  • sunscreen
  • razor
  • Bible
  • hat
  • water bottle
  • toilet paper
  • batteries
  • anti-bacterial gel
  • duct tape
  • towels
  • lice spray
  • ear plugs
  • fan
  • nail pouch
  • trail mix and other munchies

That pretty much covers everything. Geezes, just think, if I were not so freaked out about the flight, I would be freaking out about no bathrooms.........err.....bano.

Adios!

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

When I learned spanish (in college) it always helped to watch the spanish soap operas... you have a general idea of what they are saying (because aren't soap operas always about the same old junk) and then you get the 'feel' of understanding the words as they are blended together.:)