Sunday, February 28, 2010

90 Day Bible Journey, Week 5

Two men dressed in pilot’s uniforms walk up the aisle of the plane.  Both are wearing dark glasses, one is using a guide dog and the other is tapping his way along the aisle with a cane.  At the cockpit, the door closes and the engines start up.  The passengers begin glancing nervously around, searching for some sign that this is just a practical joke.

The place moves faster and faster down the runway and the people sitting in the window seats realize they are heading straight for the water at the edge of the airport.  As it begins to look as though the plane will crash into the water, panicked screams fill the cabin.

Just at that moment, the plane lifts smoothly into the air.  The passengers relax and laugh sheepishly and soon all retreat into their magazines, secure in the knowledge that the plane is in good hands.

In the cockpit, one of the pilots turns to the other and says, “You know, Bob, one of these days, they’re gonna scream too late and we’re all gonna die.”

Let’s do a quick overview, shall we?  In our readings last week:

  • David becomes king over Israel & Judah.  As much as David is “God’s man,” even he falls short.  Although, he does suffer the consequences for his failures, his faith in God remains constant.
  • The reign of Solomon is a time that Israel is enjoying wealth and recognition, but even with Solomon at the reigns as the world’s wisest man, he is corrupted by worldly matters and the faiths of his wives and concubines.  At Solomon's death the kingdom becomes divided.
  • Within our readings of  2 Kings, we continues to read the account of the kings of the divided kingdom through the fall of Jerusalem.

Did you get the feeling that many of the kings (pilots) were blind?  Why do you think that God allowed them to be the “pilots”?

We’ve all seen the bumper sticker that says “If God is your copilot, switch seats.”  Without discussing specific political views or parties, what might happen if our political leaders took this advice?

Was there an “A-ha” moment triggered by your readings this week that you can immediately apply to your life?

We are all sinners and we all fall short.  It is so reassuring to see the grace that God demonstrates toward humanity when we fail.  It is also very sobering to realize that there are often consequences in the midst of grace.  Are you more focused on God being a God of Grace or a God of consequences at this point in your reading?

Before I give you this weeks verses, I have to tell you during this week, we will be past the half way point in the Old Testament!!!  Congratulations and enjoy this accomplishment!!

I will say that in this point of my reading of the Bible, I find myself more focused on a God of consequences…I will explain further tomorrow and also answer the above questions, as it is nearing 11pm and I have quite the early morning that is quickly approaching at lightening speed!! 

One more thing, I am very proud of you!  Reading the Bible in 90 days is not an easy task.  I will say, the accountability for me, knowing that you are out there reading along with me, has made all the difference!!  I might not be doing as well as I am doing if not for you!!  If you are behind, don't fret!!  Set aside extra time this week to catch up.  I’ll be praying for all of you as we continue this journey together!

Finally, here are this weeks verses:

Monday:  1 Chronicles 1:1 through 1 Chronicles 9:44

Tuesday:  1 Chronicles 10:1 through 1 Chronicles 23:32

Wednesday:  1 Chronicles 24:1 through 2 Chronicles 7:10

Thursday:  2 Chronicles 7:11 through 2 Chronicles 23:15

Friday:  2 Chronicles 23:16 through 2 Chronicles 35:15

Saturday:  2 Chronicles 35:16 through  Ezra 10:44

Sunday:  Nehemiah 1:1  through Nehemiah 13:14

4 Comments:

Robin Lambright said...

My friend skoots1mom is doing this, great idea btw.

Good luck this week and I cant wait to read about your insights.

Blessings
R

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

I am still a week behind ya'll, but hoping I can catch up this week if not I will do this in 97 days ;)

Pamela Scott said...

I want to participate I might be a little late but what a great idea!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeahhhh.... I fell off the wagon completely. I struggle with depression & have been having a pretty hard time. I hope to get back into the Word soon. I'm amazed at the journey this has turned out to be for you guys. Sounds like you're really learning a lot in the deepest sense of the word!