Monday, March 8, 2010

90 Day Bible Journey, Week 6

There is an old story about three sons who left home, went out on their own, and prospered.  Getting back together, they bragged to each other about the gifts they were able to give to their elderly mother.

The first said, “I built a big house for our mother.”  The second said, “I sent her a Mercedes with a driver.”  The third said, “I’ve got you both beat.  You remember how mom enjoys reading the Bible?  And you remember that she doesn’t see very well anymore?  I sent her a remarkable parrot that recites the entire Bible.  It took elders in my church 12 years to teach him.  He’s one of a kind.  Mom just has to name chapter and verse, and the parrot recites it.”

Soon after, Mom sent letters of thanks to her sons: “Milton,” she wrote to one son, “the house you built is too big.  I live in only one room, but I have to clean the whole house.”  “Gerald,” she wrote to the second, “I am to old to travel.  I stay most of the time at home, so I rarely use the Mercedes.  And the driver is so ride!”  “Dearest Donald,” she wrote to her third son, “you have the good sense to know what your mother likes.  The chicken was delicious.”

Clearly the mother enjoyed the present from her third son, though presumably not in the manner he intended!

I am getting off a little bit from asking Scripture questions and what you may of gained this week from your readings to find out a little about how you are feeling…

Are you enjoying reading the Bible this way, in 90 days, than other ways that you may of read your Bible before?

Did you expect to feel this way?  Why or why not?

Has it been overwhelming or easy-peezy lemon-squeezy, reading so much scripture each day?

Have you had to cut out anything that you normally do during the day to accomplish this goal?  If yes, what and how do you feel about it?

Are you behind in your readings?  If so, how do you feel about it?  Do you plan on catching up, or just taking it one day at a time.

Okay, I am going to go ahead and answers these question, because clearly I am terrible about posting my answers the next day!  HA!

I am enjoying reading the Bible in 90 days.  I have learned so much more by reading larger amounts and it is keeping my interest much more than reading tiny bits at the time.,  I honestly did not think that I would feel this way.  I was worried that I was going to get overwhelmed, but so far so good, so for me…easy-peezy, lemon-squeezy!

I have had to cut out some TV watching.  Two shows completely and the rest I DVR so I can watch without commercials.  At first, I was a little bothered, but as the time goes by, I really have not missed it to much.

I am a little behind in my reading.  It’s been a tough and busy week.  I hate being behind, not so much because I am behind, but I am very goal driven, and when I set a goal, I want to reach and I fall behind, I get bothered.   I do plan to catch up, not because I feel that I have to, but I feel if I don’t and for some reason fall further behind, the task will get daunting and I will become discouraged.

If you have fallen behind, don’t get discouraged…this week we will be entering into one of the best loved, most read books of the Bible.  Hopefully, this will help you, as I am hoping it will help me catch up!!

Okay, here are the verses for the week:

Monday:  Nehemiah 13:15 through Job 7:21

Tuesday:  Job 8:1 through Job 24:25

Wednesday:  Job 25:1  through Job 41:34

Thursday:  Job 42:1 through Psalm 24:10

Friday:  Psalm 25:1 through Psalm 45:14

Saturday:  Psalm 45:15 through  Psalm 69:21

Sunday:  Psalm 69:22  through Psalm 89:13

6 Comments:

Kris Hughes said...

Loved your answers-very similar to my thoughts! Love your blog makeover- very festive!

Robin Lambright said...

Your opening story gave me a nice chuckle! Very funny!

Keep up the good work. I have a friend (skoots1mom) who is reading along with you. My Disciple keeps me in the word but your goal of the entire bible in 90 is very inspiring.

Good luck!
R

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Love the new look of your blog. Very Cute. I am still behind in my reading.

Survivormama said...

I love this study! Oh and by the way I tagged you on my blog post, come on by and check it out!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Greg C said...

I went ahead and signed up and will do the reading this evening. I just learned about this and only have 10 minutes before I have to leave for work. I have a plan though. :)

I loved the joke.