Tuesday, September 8, 2009

On The Way To Possum Holler I Found Our Dream Tombstone!

As some may know we live on a little mini farm and dabble in the market goat arena.  To elaborate a little more on market goats, they are goats that are raised for meat production.  At one time we had close to 40 goats but over time we sold all but a few.  We started raising market goats as a 4H project and it grew into a love of goats.

I name our goats after friends and church folks!  Some people are totally honored, some mortified when they find out that they will be sold for meat production.  Either way, I still name them after those I know, it is easier to remember their names.

We sell our goats at a place named Possum Holler.  For me it’s easier to go there instead of a sales barn, because we back up the truck to a huge barn and in my perfect world they unload my precious little babies into this glorious building full of other beautiful goats that will be sold to families across America as pets.  I tell myself that to make me feel better and after shedding a few tears, we collect our check and are on our way.  Hubby and the boys make fun of me, I say it’s the girl in me.  So I cry and then I get over myself!  The hard reality of market goats, they are sold for meat.  On an upside they were bringing in $1.20 a pound so the tears were short lived!

Anyhoo, that is what Possum Holler is, a place to sell goats & sheep!  The most amazing thing happened through my tears.  As we were leaving Possum Holler, not even a 1/4 of a mile down the road from them, I noticed something glorious!!  How I never seen this before, I am not sure, but through my tears, I noticed our destiny! 

For those who may not know, I have my funeral planned out to a “T”.  I know the songs I want played and everything is planned right down to the wording on the tombstone.  In my mind I always pictured a simple little double headstone, on my side there would be a cat angel above my name with this carved on the tombstone…”God called her home because he was missing an angel”.  I.  LOVE.  IT! 

I have always loved cat, hence the cat angel!!  Through my tears I happened to glace over at a little church that had a little cemetery out front.  I noticed something black that had a shape of cats.  I said, OH MY GOODNESS, I think that I see cat tombstones in that cemetery, TURN AROUND!!  Of course the kids moaned and didn’t want hubby to turn around the truck, but when momma has tears, Hubby does whatever will make it better.  Look at this…..

Picture 014 Picture 013

I have to have this!!!  I was doing a little jig right there in front of Randall’s grave!!  Kathy, his wife has the most amazing taste!!  Of course Hubby said the husband had to die first or he would have never agree to a cat tombstone!!  I say, that is some husband!!  

Anyhoo, meet our future headstones!!  My most wonderful Hubby has gave me the green light on getting cat headstones for our grave!  That’s a big woo to the hoo!!  Of course I still have to have my saying on there and the part between the the cats will be a flower planter, but that is minor details. 

So my funeral is definitely complete!!!  I can now die a very happy woman!

5 Comments:

Jeanette said...

I would love to have you name one of your goats after me!! It is better than my BIL naming a cow after me (I think a goat is much more flattering cause they are thinner and all!). Make sure she has lots of spots cause I have freckles you know :}

Ummmmm, the cat headstone...all I can think of is someone giving directions to another person grave.....yeah, take a left at the cat headstone and it is three rows over...

You need to hang onto that man of yours cause there ain't another man out there that would allow that to be his headstone!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh, Patrice! I don't even know what to say, from the naming of goats, to the parting of goats, to the departing of you. This is one full post! Wonder if I should ask Jorge for a Yorkie tombstone??

Robin Lambright said...

Now I get the farmville goats (LOL)I was wondering why it's always goats Patrice gives away??? Now I know!

and let's all hope for a very long and happy life before those cat headstones get put into use. Maybe you could use them in your landscape until then.

Blessing my friend
Robin

Greg C said...

You are a complete nut. But I love it. My wife loves cats too but she wants to be cremated so what can I do with ashes that has to do with cats? hmmmm She better hope we are on good terms when she dies, haha.

Don't worry, I wouldn't actually do that to her.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I thought I would never hear of anyone crazy for cats as you! lol Next thing you'll have Abbey Baby stuffed or etched on the tomb stone....lol
I have a cow named after me so a goat would be alright too! Emily, Chereese's lil girl named her black, Mae MaeM, which is what they call me.It has nothing to do with my REAL name ! but I love it!