Thursday, March 10, 2011

Look What I Have Been Up Too

I know I have been vacant from my blog the last couple of weeks but just because I have not been posting much, I have been realllllllyy busy!!  One thing that has kept me busy is this…

I started with old t-shirts, and began ripping them into strips…

IMG_2702

Tied the strips together and rolled them into a huge ball.  Then I plopped in front of the TV with my laptop with Google pulled up and started crocheting. 

IMG_2703

I don’t crochet. 

My mother tried to teach me when I was younger. 

I could not do it.

It made me tense.

It stressed me out.

Really.

Did you know that you can Google and learn anything??  Really, you can.

This is what I Google taught me to do.

IMG_2713

I made this cutie patootie little round rug that Higgins thinks is awesome!  So what possessed me to do this?  I am always  thinking about the Dominican and the women that live in the community of La Cumbre.  I worry about them.  What they are doing, are they eating, are they able to feed their children today…how filthy their dirt floors are…

Knowing that I will be there again in a few short months, I began to worry about them more.  What can we teach them that will help them out in their daily lives.  How can I find materials that will be available to them, what would be most beneficial to them. 

Have I mentioned how great our God is??  He is pretty awesome! 

Again, He led me to this….a rug made out of t-shirts.  Old t-shirts that have holes in them.  Stained t-shirts that were crammed into drawers, forgotten, no longer useful…no longer useful to us. 

Once torn into pieces, tied and woven together, they create a beautiful masterpiece. 

Kind of  like my life.  Ugly, stained…until I accepted my Savior into my heart.  Now, I am a beautiful creation!  

This summer, we will be teaching beautiful women to crochet rugs for their homes.  We will also be sharing the love of a Savior with them.   A love that is so pure, so big and so mighty. 

I am so excited!  God is good!!  This rug will be very useful to them and it also has such a great lesson attached to it.

So, do you have any t-shirt laying around your home that you no longer need?  I could use them, many of them.  We will be taking as many t-shirt as we can to the Dominican to make rugs with the women of La Cumbre.  If so, contact me, jpdbj (at) dtccom (dot) net or leave a comment on this post on how I can get in touch with you.  I would love to have your old t-shirts!

4 Comments:

Robin Lambright said...

I'll keep this in mind during my next closet purge!


What a great idea!

sara said...

that is so cool!!!! what a great idea. I am going to go through all our closets and see what I have!!!

Jeanette said...

I am sure I have some! When I get to my spring cleanin I will let you know what I have and get it shipped off to you.

Great idea!!

BARBIE said...

Wow, you can learn anything from Google! Very cleaver use of old clothing.