Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dominican Mission Trip 2009

DR-Verse-2009

I have thought about this post since Sunday and I so wanted to share with you about our trip as soon as I walked through the door on Sunday evening.  It has taken me some time to put a few things into perspective before I was able to share with you. 

We had a great trip, a trip that was full of wonder, awe, work, sweat, tears, heartbreak, happiness, the unknown, refueling….I guess, I could go on with so many emotions that we have experienced, but we would be here for days.  

I will be honest, there were days I felt totally energized and there were days that I was checked out with overcoming emotions.  The sight, sounds and my thoughts sometimes becoming overwhelming.  There were times on this trip that God shown His presence so abundantly and other times where I was forced to rely on Him with all that I had. 

The picture above was one that I took when I was having a low point in the trip, where I was having to come to the reality that God had put me there for a reason, a reason that was beyond my scope of understanding.  This verse, Be still and know that I am God, was my verse for this trip and the above picture captures the full realm of my feelings. 

This picture represents the work that God sent us to do in the Dominican this year.

Dominican 2009 025

We worked on a community center in the community of Los Annones.  This community center will have a clinic, a kitchen and will serve as a place of safety for storms.  We also held a women’s ministry while I was there teaching women of the surrounding communities how to embroider and a kids time each afternoon.

Dominican 2009 415  Dominican 2009 212 Dominican 2009 215

This picture represents the refueling of our trip. 

Dominican 2009 286

The community that we worked in was a farming community and the ones from that community that helped us, needed a break to tend to their farms, as we needed a day to rest as well.  We went to a beach that was off the beaten path, for the most part it was just our group and a few fishermen.  It was an amazing day of relaxation.  I have never seen a beach that had rocks washing ashore instead of shells and as the rocks rolled with the waves it made the most tranquil and amazing sounds.

Dominican 2009 280 Dominican 2009 268 Dominican 2009 271

This picture represents the awe struck wonder of God’s perfectness. 

Dominican 2009 256

We worked in the mountains and everywhere you looked reminded you that God is awesome. From the scenery to the precious people that we spent time with, the presence of God was felt. 

I am going to leave you with several pictures from our trip.  I have so many more things to share from our trip and will do in the next several days. 

Dominican 2009 473 Dominican 2009 036 Dominican 2009 040 Dominican 2009 084 Dominican 2009 086 Dominican 2009 090 Dominican 2009 105 Dominican 2009 126 Dominican 2009 132 Dominican 2009 133 Dominican 2009 143 Dominican 2009 144  Dominican 2009 153 Dominican 2009 180 Dominican 2009 187 Dominican 2009 190 Dominican 2009 205 Dominican 2009 240 Dominican 2009 413 Dominican 2009 428 Dominican 2009 471 Dominican 2009 472

4 Comments:

Darla said...

that is awesome! i know this trip was special to you. it's great that you were able to go and do God's work. while you were gone, i tried to post a myspace video and it erased my entire blog design..??? so i had to erase the header because it looked so weird to have a blue background and the other header. couldn't call on you for help, haha, oh my. i also havent picked out a new design yet. i am in a creative slump. anyway, glad you are home safe.

Greg C said...

I can't wait to hear more about your trip. You did a great thing for us by going.

Anonymous said...

Wow, such beautiful pictures! Can't wait to hear about the trip in details! I LOVE the children, I could just eat them up! I was hoping to go to the DR this October with our church but I can't make the deadline with my passport and funds, so I'll try again next year. Can't wait!! :)

TJ said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing. I imagine it was as good for you as it was for those there.

Our congregation supports a mission in Honduras, and your photos remind me of the people there. Unfortunately, right now the groups can't travel safely, and the missions American residents have an elaborate escape plan to leave if needed.