Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mommy's Baby Diary Goat

Well, here is my dairy goat I was telling you about. Right now I am calling her Mommy's Baby Dairy Goat, because I really can't find a name I like for her. I like old lady names, but just have not came across the right one yet.

For years my youngest Joey has been intolerant of milk, not lactose intolerant, but just plain 'ol intolerant. So for years he has been on either soy milk or rice milk, which can be pricey. We raise market goats and a friend of ours that raises dairy goats, told me to try him on raw goat milk. Well of course, I fought it and did not want to pay the pricey amount for the raw goat milk. I did tons of research and thought well, lets give it a try.

So here we are, Joey has been drinking raw goats milk for about a month now and has not once gotten sick! Praise the Lord! It has been such a long battle. He still has been sick this month, but due to something he ate with milk in it rather than drinking milk. So that is one step further in the right direction with his digestive tract!

Now comes all the hard work of having a dairy goat......I thought maybe I would post what we do twice a day for my non-farm friendly family and friends.

Here are all the supplies I use, a stainless steel bucket, quart jar, funnel, coffee filter, baby wipes and fight bac.


Here is Mommy's Baby Dairy Goat on her milking stand, eating her supper. I clean her teats and udders with the baby wipes really well before I start milking and then give the dog 6 squirts of milk before I actually start milking into the stainless steel bucket.


This is the milk in the bucket after milking her. When she is finished milking I squirt each teat with Fight Bac, which is a disinfectant to kill bacteria and help control mastitis.


After milking her, she is off to her pen, and we then bring her milk in and filter it into a quart jar, to make sure it's pure.

The finished Product! One quart of fresh, raw goats milk!




1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the perfect name for your mommy goat. It would by Myrtice~!!!! That is my mothers Aunt's real name. Her nickname is Tootie!! HeHe. I think your next mommy goat should be named Willie Mae after my granny. Love you Boogies!!!!