Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dominican Republic Update

We will be leaving for our mission trip to the Dominican in 62 days.

Goodness!

For those of you that do not know......I do not fly! I am so scared to fly that I start to get panicky in the airport parking lot. If it were not for the flight, I am sure I would be panicked about the actual trip itself....but I can not even process the events past the plane trip!

A friend from church works at the airport and told me tonight that she is going to see if she can get me on a plane to see if it would help. I am nervous about even getting on a plane that is not flying.

Seriously, last night I was watching tv and these two people were on a plane, and it was such close quarters. I turned and asked Jeremy, does it really look like that in a plane? Which he said yes......and I felt my heart rate start to quicken and asked the Lord, why me??

Last year, Jeremy and kids wanted to take a helicopter ride through the mountains. Trust me, not my idea. My oldest was scared to fly, and being the brave and good mom, that I try to be, told him, "Hey, we will conquer our fear together. It will be fun!" Famous last words.

As we climbed into this helicopter, and as it lifted off the ground, immediate panic attack. I tried very hard to hide my total fear, but it did not last long. To make a long story short, I ruined the trip for the entire family, except for Bradley, he was in the front of the helicopter and could not see me. As the helicopter made the final loop to land on the pad, I broke down into total panic mode. Needless to say, I lived, the kids loved flying and Jeremy swore that was the last time he would ever leave the ground with me with him!

The verse I have been hanging on so tightly to is 2 Timothy 1:7, For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

God, with his wonderful sense of humor, has called me on this trip. Why He called me? I am trying not to question. I feel very insignificant, and really do not know what I can offer to those that are there. What I do know is I feel this very strong urge that I need to be there. I am praying for a spirit of courage and power, and I am so looking forward to what God is going to reveal to me and DJ on this trip. I am very moved to see DJ's excitment about this trip and his willingness to serve others.

Please pray for a sense of peace and mighty courage for me.

0 Comments: