Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Being Snowed In Is Only Fun For About The First 24 Hours

Have you heard that 49 states have snow and the only state that did not join the fun is Florida?  Come on Florida, get with the program!  Y’all just don’t know the fun you are missing! 

IMG_2545

This picture is a view down the holler.  See that snow?  It came in Sunday night…it’s still there, along with a tad more.  There has been no sun and the temperature has not rose above freezing since it got here and looks like it may be here for days to come.  Nice.  Usually when I wake up in the morning to it snowing outside, I get excited…this morning, I cried.

IMG_2552

Check out the picture of the hubbster watching TV while the cat and dog are very cozy, sawing some major logs! (I am not sure how that cat is comfy, but she is!)  This picture cracked me up!  During the first 24 hours there are snow ball fights, hot chocolate, food, naps and TV.  Lots of TV actually, we had lots on the DVR to catch up on and we have managed to watch it all, because 24 hours have now turned into day three.  Could be longer because this is what happened on day two…

DSCN1404 DSCN1405 DSCN1406

We live 500 feet down in a holler, down a very steep driveway.  Hubby tried with all his might to get us out, and it did not work.   Since these pictures have been taken, the teenage boy and his dad have been diligently working with ropes, shovels, boards and all the salt that I would allow to leave my cupboards to get the truck out.  Still they have not succeeded.  Fingers crossed for the snow clouds to vacate and the sun to start shining, cause hubby said he might not get the truck out until the snow melts.

Usually being stuck at home is an awesome thing for our family.  A much needed force of nature to get us in the same place for more than a few hours.  This time, I think we are all getting a little nervous.  Usually when the news predicts weather like this, it never happens.  My husband was out of town this weekend and when I picked him up at the airport on Sunday, we ran into Wow-mart for a few items.  I hate shopping there, so I wanted to get what I had to have and get out of there as quickly as possible.  He even asked me if we needed to get some food, and I said “nah, we’ll be okay for a day or two”. 

Welp, who woulda thunk we would get so much white stuff.  NOT ME!  So here we are on day three and no telling how many more days we will be stuck in our hole.  We are getting down to the bare bones in the cupboard and I am sipping on a glass of sweet tea from the last gallon that will be made until we get out of here, because we are out of tea bags!  Whhaaaaaaaaaa.  Y’all this is the south, and a house without sweet tea could be declared as a state of emergency in these parts!  Did I forget to mention I used that last of the butter out of the tub this morning….let me not even go there, again,  it’s the South and I think I just broke one of the ten commandments….Thou Shall Have A Month Supply Of Butter At All Times.  It’s there, I am sure somewhere in the ten commandments, probably around the one that say something about sweet tea!

After a wonderful lunch of Cocoa Krispies, I am officially here to say, I have a bad case of cabin fever and I have a craving for some Sonic.   I am still smiling, but when tonight comes along and our family starts going through convulsions from lack of sweet tea, I am afraid the smiles will be gone!  Only the first 24 hours of being snowed are fun….just saying!

8 Comments:

sara said...

oh my gosh this is so funny!!! only because it's not ME! :)

We are melted out and the sun is shining so hopefully it is coming your way!!

I have to say though, true to the south, your butter should be in a block not a tub!!!! just sayin'

Jeanette said...

Between Monday night and Tuesday we got about 6 inches of snow. There were no schools closed and everyone went on about their day just a little more slowly. I wish we could get at least 1 snow day :}

Hope you don't have to resort to eating dog or cat food ;}

Melissa's Thoughts said...

oh my sweet friend. I will bring you tea bags and butter and put them on a sled and slid them down to your little house in the holler. I miss you terribly.

Robin Lambright said...

I feel your pain... literally, it is day four for us, they have canceled school again and they will probably do it again tomorrow. The interstates are improving but the smaller surface streets are still mostly solid sheets of ice.

Thankfully my pantry is holding out for now but we are half way down to our last gallon of milk...but so far so good.

Blessings
R

Can you say stir crazy...

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

I hope the sun shines today and ya'll can get out soon. My brother without sweet Tea could get ugly ;) What would Paula Deen Think...No Butter...Oh the shame :D

j said...

We moved to south Alabama 2 1/2 years ago. I think there has been snow (at least flurries) every winter since. Of course this year, it was MAJOR snow. I would have enjoyed it the first day but I would be sick of it by now.

Keep warm!

Unknown said...

This is a funny post. I'm glad we live close to town where I can get to the store to get butter and sweet tea. :) Good luck getting out of there anytime soon. Isn't it supposed to make it up to like um.... 35 today? Hahaha.

Gator said...

What a hilarious story, some of it is scary though, running out of food. I'm the one who lives in Florida, yep, NO snow here!!! Thank goodness for that. I love the picture of your husband & the cat & dog, priceless!!!! You like Sonic too!! I love it, but so very sad the one near us closed down, I almost cried when I saw that. I don't know if the one out further (East) is closed or not. I just heard they were closing most of there stores. I want a Cherry limeade so bad. If you can't get out for a while & still need some food, just write me & I'll package some up & get in off in the mail, Priority Mail, in 2 days. Good Luck. Peace.