Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dominican, Part 2

My trip out to Piedra Blanca, where I was staying was pretty much uneventful.  The trip is a distance out of Santo Domingo and the country side is beautiful!   God’s handiwork is so evident and for a country that is so poor, they are rich in beauty!  I was greeted by my beautiful sister, Lisania with a meal of beans and rice with chicken.  She was so excited about me coming to stay with her that it was absolutely evident by the hospitality that she and her family showed me!

That afternoon after her husband came home from work, I went with him to the grocery store.  The grocery store was such a different experience than what we would ever see in America.  If I was not so taken back by the armed guards with machine guns, I would of snapped a few picture, but did NOT want to upset those guys!   I am not sure if there is much theft there because I forgot to ask, but I am assuming there was because of they guys with machine guns!  The amazing thing is I never felt scared or threaten and neither did anyone else, so that must be a common security practice.

The fun thing about the grocery store is seeing some very “American” items.  General Mills, which is where my husband works, has many of their cereals there.  Also, Nabisco and that silly rabbit was there with chocolate syrup and other items…so that was a little bit of home right there in the DR!  Of course there is a lot of the same packing, but also things that I assume they get from local people that were in clear bags.  There were no refrigerated items I am guessing because the electricity and the lack of  a regular schedule of it being on.  Again, I was so immersed with the surroundings that I did not get any pictures, plus I did not want to upset the security!!  :o)

That evening at supper was a very simple meal of toasted ham and cheese sandwiches, with a fruit smoothie, and I will have to say, that fruit smoothie was out of this world yum-o awesomeness!   With every meal there was a different variation of a smoothie.  The first night it was mango, the next we had one with papaya, another night with oranges and on and on.  It was great!

After supper were drove to many different houses to pick up clothes for a clothing sale that the church in La Cumbre was having on Saturday to help raise money for windows for the church.  That was a cool experiences to see so many different types of houses and meet so many new people.  That took up the rest of the evening and upon arriving back at their house, I was pretty much excited about falling into bed!  The difference of sleeping there and at home, home is very quiet…no horns beeping all night, no music coming from the disco’s that are round every corner and no bugs….

More to follow!

1 Comments:

Penny said...

EEEK!! I would have freaked out seeing the machine guns.