Friday, October 2, 2009

Random Shrub Question

Okay, here is the deal.  We live 500 feet down in a holler.  Trust, me, 500 feet and pretty much straight down.  A few weeks ago we had torrential amounts of rain to the point that Noah and his animals stopped by for supper one night!  HA! 

Anyhoo, the rain caused my road to wash away in several places and at one point in the road, the rut was so deep that you could stand in it and all that could be saw was chest up.  It was bad y’all!  It was so bad that I just plain quit driving on one part of the road and would park the Jeep and walk!

We hired a bulldozer man and he did a fantastic job of fixing, smoothing, widening and perfecting our muddy mess of a driveway!  The poor  fella even worked in the rain!  There is still work to be done at the bottom and gravel to be laid (long story for another time) and our road will be beautiful!!

We had a new part of the road pushed in, on the front of our home and on both side of the road we have a slope that needs tending to.  I am at a loss for what kind of shrubs/ground cover to buy….any suggestions??  Here is what I am talking about…

SDC11431

This picture show the road in between two slopes……

SDC11430

This slope is the one below the road that just goes on out into a treed holler…

SDC11429SDC11432SDC11433

These pictures show the slope above the road and right under the house…

SDC11436 This is a picture of Higgins just being plain mantastic, as usual!

Okay so what should I do?  I was thinking of low growing   ground cover for the bottom half and ??? for the top??  I need help….BAD!!  We are going to look at shrubs and such tomorrow and I just do not even know where to start.  Oh, I love colors….and of course anything the flowers….if that helps any!

3 Comments:

Annette said...

Knock out rose bushes are great. They are like a shrub so that would be something you can look at....and how about some day lilies? They need little tending. and even that border grass that you got from me if you have any left. If not I still have some.
Good luck...oh and I tried your cell today but didn't get answer so you must have already been home. So will catch you tomorrow...Luvvies

Jeanette said...

We have some low growing pines called Mogo or Mugo pines. I don't know the correct spelling. they stay low to the ground and spread side to side instead of growing up. They would make a good ground cover for something different.

Melissa's Thoughts said...

Kudzo? No, just kidding, I think a very low growing ground cover would be great. Everygreen Ivy would be nice because well, duh it's green all year.