Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Good Bye Old Friend

Piggly Wiggly. 

Our small town grocery store. 

We didn’t frequent you every week, because we are poor and your prices were so high.

Still, I am so sad that you are leaving us.

IMG_5920

Our Piggly Wiggly is no more.  On December 31st when the owners closed the doors, they handed over the keys to the new owners.

It hurts that this small town icon will cease to exist.  There is just something about Piggly Wiggly that brings me joy.  Not the prices.

Maybe it was the small store atmosphere, or seeing the same cashier and bag boy each time we went in or maybe it’s just because it is The Pig, as we like to call it!

I’m sad that the Pig has left our small town.

IMG_5921 

Good bye Piggly Wiggly…

hello Save-a-Lots…

Grr.

4 Comments:

Aloha Acres said...

My husband and I both worked at Piggly Wiggly in high school. Our hometown "Pig" has also closed and with it the town took a turn for the worst. I hope that's not the case here. You are so right ... it is an icon.

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

I second that Grrr.. I love the pig maybe just because their little mascot is to stinkin cute ;)

Unknown said...

Ehhh... Bring on the Save A Lot! Maybe we can "save a lot" like we couldn't do at the PIG. LOL.

Annette said...

Yeah I'm not to happy about the "save a lot"!!! I didn't frequent the Pig much either but there's just something about a Piggly Wiggly that makes a small town "small"!! I have to say I will miss it!!