Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hear That Noise…13 Year Cicadas Are Back

This is the year for the 13 year Cicada.  Oh my, I am so over it.  If you do not have cicadas in your neck of the woods, please know that in 13 years I will be coming to your house for a mini vacay!  For those that are cicada free, let me spread the love introduce you to these creatures, you may thank me later for the science lesson!  HA! First the pictures…again, you can thank me later:

17-year_cicada r

They are like an alien invasion, best way to describe them.  They come out every 13 years to breed, very noisily, the  lay their eggs and thank goodness they die!!  This will last for a few weeks, but it seems like forever. 

The eggs turn into nymphs and they actively thrive underground (thank goodness) for 13 years sucking and feeding off tree roots.  Then when it’s time, they burrow through the soil for another round of mating. 

These red eyed annoying creatures sound like the mother ship has landed in the woods!  The dogs love playing with them and they are in love with anything that makes noise!  Needless to say our yard looks like a jungle, one because the lawn mower needs a new belt and two because Bradley our son hates the way they love the mower and weed eater!

My favorite thing to do is sit on the front porch, but as of late I can’t.  I kid you not, the noise is so loud from these ugly things that it hurts your ears so badly!  Here is a sound clip…but remember this is in no way as loud as what we are hearing.  Also, times this by 24/7 and this is our life…

(Link) View more Animals Sound Clips and Insects Sound Clips

So my new favorite thing is to read all the Facebook message about cicadas.   So as the roar of these furiously loud boogers seep through my walls and invade my once quite home where all you USED to hear was the loud noise of teenage boys (they even drown them out them) I will leave you with a few facebook comments from my friends….enjoy!

  • There is nothing sexier to a cicada than a 6'4" man with a weed eater.
  • Oh silly silly cicadas... the big red noisy machine I'm riding is not your mating mothership. It's just a Snapper. So much for straight lines.
  • I'm Sorry, What did you say??  I couldn't here you for all the Cicadas!!! :/
  • Finds that a weed eater is an effective tool in battling cicadas. However, doing so can lead to an uneven trim on your yard.
  • Got in a fight with some cicadas while mowing the yard. Not really sure who won.
  • There is a CICADA in my house! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I was in bed typing up a blog post and then I hear it doing whatever it is that it does...
  • Scary to wonder why this lady is picking cicadas out of the trees at Kroger and putting them in a container....

4 Comments:

Katie said...

They were so bad here, our yard looked like swiss cheese from all of the holes. You also could hear them inside the house with the tv on, the dishwasher AND the washer going. They've finally quit here. Thank goodness! I think we had a 17 year high here. They have 13 and 17 year cycles. I think we had both at once. UGH!

Unknown said...

This makes me laugh pretty HARD. :)

Laina said...

hahaha. I don't know if I've ever seen these before or knew what they were, but I do recognize the sound. Not where I live, but in my lifetime I know I've heard it on some vacation I went on.

Jenny @ flutterbyechronicles said...

Laughing at the last FB comment. Why in the world would anyone want to keep one.